IT’S HERE! IT’S QUEER! IT’S CUTE! I’M CRYING!

IT’S HERE. It’s here it’s here it’s here.

I can’t believe it. I’m going BANANAS IN PAJAMAS about how excited I am for all you babes out there to watch this.

I spent two years thinking about making this video and why it was important and necessary. Your resounding support for “Same Love” and “She Keeps Me Warm” is the reason I feel empowered to release this video today. I never expected to hear men AND women singing the lyrics, “she keeps me warm” right along with me. I thought girls would feel weird about the pronoun of “she” and I certainly didn’t want to alienate an audience. But you didn’t care. Nobody cared about a fucking pronoun. You let me sing about my girl across the country and supported me and cried with me and laughed with me. You cared about love. BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT IT’S ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT.

This music video is about love and it’s about visibility. I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen a relationship like mine accurately portrayed in a music video. I’ve seen women rolling around in lingerie, bisexual love triangles, women cheating on their boyfriends with a girl- definitely.

So this is where I need to say one thing explicitly: gay relationships are not, nor have ever, been a novelty. My love is valid, equal, and beautiful.

With this video, my hope is that you think of the first time you fell in love with that one person. The person you were so terrified to hold hands with. You daydreamed about them, wrote letters you might never give to them, had to know anything and everything about them, and couldn’t believe that they actually liked you back. Maybe it was a time when you were less jaded, or maybe you had your defenses up and they slipped the rug underneath you when you weren’t expecting it. Whatever it was in those moments, it was incredible. It was easy. It was nervous glances and sweaty palms.

My intention is not a political one, although gay relationships are inherently political whether we want them to be or not; My intention was to make a love story. I hope you fall in love with this and share it with all of your loves. Thank you so much for your overwhelming support. My heart is filled with massive amounts of gratitude.
xoxo
M

102 Responses to IT’S HERE! IT’S QUEER! IT’S CUTE! I’M CRYING!

1. Jess Cantrell says:

Oh my God. That was the sweetest video ever. I am all goose-pimply. YOU ROCK SO HARD.

2. LisforMe says:

Tell it like is is Mary. All love is beautiful. Fat, thin, old, young, gay, straight. You’re beautiful. This story makes me think of me and my gf. So great.

3. Raven says:

You know, I had a pretty harsh day today, but I’m ending it with your video, and this note. Thank you for the dose of Good Love, the shot of joy, the sweet wash of connection. How lovely is the story you’ve told here. How simple and true. Thank you for creating this – and sharing it with us. I will have warmer and sweeter dreams now. May love keep you and may your dreams also be sweet.

4. brianna says:

this video and song stunned me. I’m an 18 year old lesbian who just came out to myself, my family, and my church. yes, my christian church. they all accepted me very lovingly and always ask if I need anything in regards to that. but I’m still so saddened by the way we’re portrayed. lesbian has become an “ewwwww” inducing word. we’re butches or dykes or “too pretty to be lesbian,” we’re daddy issues or sexual assault victims. we’re ugly or used for male sexual gratification. that’s what we are to a large chunk of society and almost all of the media. I cry for that, for our reputation. I cry for my future wife, wondering if our love will still be illegal. I cry because I can’t wear any gay pride stuff because of the town I live in. I’d get stares, rumors, verbal assaults or possibly physical ones.
    but today, I cried tears of joy. because you put something out that says “we are not these stereotypes. we fall in love just like you. we go to that Starbucks a little too often and look at her a little too long. she takes my breath away.” you put that out fearlessly, yet casually. I feel as if it could make even a bigot crack a smile. I hope it changes people’s hearts and ideas, but if it doesn’t, I hope you know you instilled hope, love, happiness, and courage in a young woman’s heart with this work of art. and for that, I could never thank you enough. much love to you, Mary.

5. Celeste says:

I was so full of joy to watch this video. So sweet and touching. I cried I am hoping to find this same love again in my life. Heres to Older Same Love! Thanks Mary!

6. Pingback: Nobody cared about a f*cking pronoun | JodieeRichardson

7. Pingback: Mary Lambert – She Keeps Me Warm | JodieeRichardson

8. Sara says:

I love listening to you…and so does my 5 year old daughter. She walks around the house singing “she keeps me warm”. There is something so beautiful and innocent about her little voice singing your words. Thank you so much for such beautiful music with such a beautiful message!

9. M says:

I just saw this song covered on American Idol. What a beautiful song and beautiful message. Hope to hear more of your work!

10. Sweet Beast says:

I love your song, video and courage. I can definately see how not just lesbians but eveyone can relate to your song, who couldn’t relate to a song about love. I myself will patiently wait for my love to keep me warm. For me when I heard and sang along to your song the “she” who was in my mind as i sang is me. Thank you for adding your beautiful music.

11. Darcie says:

Awesome.
    I am a straight, Bach of Theology carrying Christian. The misuse and abuse of scripture regarding sexual orientation saddens me. I sometimes feel ashamed to call myself a Christian because of all the connotations that come up with that word. So many of the people I love have come out in the last few years and have felt rejected by God. I believe the pain I’ve felt over that is nothing compared to what He/She feels. I’m hopeful that someday Christianity as a religion will no longer exclude groups of people out of fear and ignorance, but rather focus on the heart of God which is always inclusive and always love.
    So thank you for making this video. It made me weep for joy as well. Thank you for depicting a gay relationship in such a fun, classy and beautiful way. Finally!
    Also, you have an amazing voice and song writing sensibility :)

• K. Ad says:

Darcie, I really love what you have written here. As a gay girl who grew up in the church, sometimes I feel the weight of every homophobic thing I read, or I hear, on my heart. I try not to take it personally but when I read things like people who think gay people should be killed I can’t help but think “they are talking about ME”. Maybe in a way it’s a blessing, I will always have a heart for others. I can find joy, and God, in making things, even if in a small way, better or easier for others. Anyways, comments like yours take a little bit of that weight, and sadness off my heart. Thank you for writing this and for having the courage to stand up for us – our allies, they make such a huge impact in our fight for equality. And for me personally, it just really means a lot.

12. Siobhan Fitzharris says:

I heard ‘Same Love’ for the first time recently while on holiday in the States and was blown away by the song and the concept. I never thought I’d hear a song like that on the radio and I was intrigued by the performers so naturally I took to Google to find out more which is how I came across this site, song and video. My GF and I are in a lesiban relationship for 17 years and this is the first time we’ve ever played a music video that portrayed a same sex love story like this – well done to all involved. It’s a beautiful song and a beautifully produced video. Keep up the great work Mary, you have a beautiful voice and deserve to have great success!

13. Jaycee Grey says:

Straight, married-for-23-years lady here, and wow. The pinkies!!! The pinkies in the cab completely undid me. Got those nervous butterflies all over again I haven’t felt in 23 years! What a beautiful video.

14. Pingback: Mary Lambert’s She Keeps Me Warm | My random, eclectic thoughts

15. payne12 says:

Reblogged! I love this song, as well as your other music and spoken word. The timing of the release of the song came at a very pertinent time in my life, so it has extra special meaning. Thank you for sharing your music, and your heart! You are amazing!

16. Paul White says:

WOW I heard your interview and your music (which I loved) this morning on CBC 1 in Ottawa and immediately went to look you up on Google. As a largish fella married to a transgendered man I totally sympathise with your feelings about the need to demonstrate the romance in all relationships. We have lived together for 7 years in romantic bliss. Now thanks to Canada’s civilised laws have been able to marry legally. The portrayal of gay unions in videos is, it seems, mainly for titillation and your sensitive loving pictures made me weep for joy. Well done and thank you.

17. Eryn says:

I have been in love with the song since I first heard it! This video gave me goosebumps and smiles from ear to ear!

18. Danya says:

I have a few things to share about this song. Firstly, my fiance and I (yes, she’s a woman as well) are getting married on October 12 of this year. While we do live in Illinois, we can’t technically get married. Don’t get me started on that. Just because we are legally entering into a civil union doesn’t mean that day will be any less special to us. But I digress.
    My fiance’s older sister introduced us to this song a couple weeks ago. It started as a text message with a simple YouTube link in it. When I pulled up the video and song, hearing and seeing them for the first time ever, we both sat on the couch together and enjoyed. I cried. I’m not ashamed to admit that. This video, and especially this song, are absolutely gorgeous. They convey a love that is not often shown (if ever) in music or movies. A love that is pure and true and the greatest thing that could ever happen to two people. I cried openly, simply because they both remind me so very much of my relationship with my soon-to-be wife. “She Keeps Me Warm” has essentially become my anthem for my relationship.
    That being said, I want to share with you that we have decided to use this song as our unity candle song. There is no better song to describe what we have, and I believe people will be able to truly understand the love between us as we stand at the alter and join together in a sacred ceremony.
    I want to thank Mary and everyone who made this song and video possible. They are both truly wonderful. Having gone through rough times and toxic relationships, it’s such an amazing feeling to find your true love. This song and this video captures the moments that every true love should share. Mary, you have captured the true essence of two women falling in love, as well as everyone else. You have spoken for me and thousands of women who share the beauty that is love, and you have shared that with the world. For that, I thank you from the deepest place in my heart and soul. I hope that on October 12 at 5 p.m. central time you feel great about making this song because around that time, my fiance and I will be sharing in a love that is so similar to this video and the emotions portrayed in it. You will be a part of the most special and memorable day of both of our lives and we thank you for that.

• Clarice says:

Loved the lyrics, loved the melody, loved the tenderness, loved everything about it… You’ve got yourself a new fan, Mary!

19. Reblogged this on A Depressed Girl's Guide to Depression and commented:
    “Gay relationships are inherently political whether we want them to be or not.”
    Interestingly, my gayness and the gay relationship portrayed in “Depression: The Musical” was something I took for granted…like it’s no big deal, it’s just part of the story. But my coming out is an integral part of my depression story, and it’s kind of a big deal to not make a big deal of it — do you know what I mean? Or maybe I should make a bigger deal of it? I do want people to know that it’s in there, that this isn’t just about depression but about the other self-discovery that has come with the struggle like coming out.

20. Sarah says:

I just want to say thank you. I am madly in love with “She Keeps Me Warm,” “I Know Girls,” and “Same Love.” The video for “She Keeps Me Warm” reminds me so much of how my partner and danced around each other in the beginning and now it has been almost five years and she still makes my heart skip a beat every time I see her. Thank you and I look forward to hearing more from you.

21. Allison G says:

I have watched your absolutely beautiful video at least half a dozen times, it brings me to tears *every* *single* *time*, because I see how much love and brilliance and heart and soul was poured into this, how REAL THIS IS. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your courage to show REAL queers, not queer-for-the-media. My heart exploded in pure joy. Thank you thank you thank you a million times for making this, for being in it, for sharing your love with us!

22. karenamp says:

You rock! Beautiful!

23. Sanga Eas says:

Wow that actually made me cry! So cute :’)

24. Lindsey Kerr says:

This is incredible!! Your strength and bravery are so inspiring!!! This reminds me of the first time my husband kissed me and that feeling you get!!! What an amazing way to capture that feeling!!!

25. Alia says:

The song and the video and you are all completely lovely. I have to admit I’m welling up a little over here. Keep making this music, please. Keep telling your story. It deserves to be heard.

26. Laura Briones says:

I’m crying!!! This song is amazing, thank you for telling such a beautiful love story..

27. C.C. says:

So… um… I kinda just found out about you when I saw your VMA performance with Macklemore singin’ “Same Love”! (best performance of the night, btw!) … Quickly went on my computer and I googled you! Not creepy of me at all! So I just came to say… you’re awesome! Keep doin’ your style! Love your voice! Keep your songs meaningful! Okay! Bye!

28. Dawn says:

“I thought girls would feel weird about the pronoun of “she” and I certainly didn’t want to alienate an audience. But you didn’t care. Nobody cared about a fucking pronoun.” –Why would we care? :) I sing along with men singing about women and women singing about men. What would stop me from singing along with a woman singing about a woman? When I sing along to a song I connect with, it’s about love. Nothing else matters. It’s the same love, right? :) Thanks for being brave!!!

29. Dawn says:

“I thought girls would feel weird about the pronoun of “she” and I certainly didn’t want to alienate an audience. But you didn’t care. Nobody cared about a fucking pronoun.” –Why would we care? :) I sing along with men singing about women, women singing about men. what would stop me from singing along with women singing about women? When I sing along to a song I connect with, it’s about love, just like you explained. Nothing else matters. It’s the same love, right? :) Thanks for being brave!!!

30. Leah s says:

Wow. I just discovered your music tonight and I’m hooked. You’re amazing and your songs are so honest and vulnerable it makes me cry. I love this song and video. So beautiful!!

31. Jil shelton says:

Amazing video. You have a beautiful voice, thank you for sharing!

32. Nicki says:

Mary,
    You are such a beautiful soul. Your music is so many things to so many people: awe inspiring, creating self awareness, opening up the truth and the good in people. I shared your music with several of my students and they with tear filled eyes saw the beauty in themselves, some for the first time, others felt hope for themselves and for the world. I know sometimes we feel small or like what we do is so innately personal that we don’t always see its impact. You are the all empowering “best friend” to the world’s women both young and old and your messages are transcending gender, social, cultural and even generational lines.
    You’re very right about your video as well. It is exactly what “accidental” falling in love looks like and I loved that it wasn’t about “you look like me” but that it felt like “I see something beautiful in you, just as you are each day and I hope you’re feeling it too.”
    Keep it up darling! You are amazing!
    And we’re rooting for you!

33. mk says:

Love! I watched this with my partner the other day on my 44th birthday. I still have the matchbook she wrote her phone number in for me almost 25 years ago. All these years … a marriage (at least in some states) and two kids later your video brought us back to that time. Thanks and much love.

34. MHM says:

I’ve always just thought it was a beautiful verse sung by a glorious voice – what pronoun? And I love you shot the video at Top Pot :) you go girl, indeed.

35. I loved Same Love, love Keep Me Warm even more, if that’s possible. LOVE the video too. :) They give me hope, that all will be ok, and that I will eventually become comfortable with who I am. Thank you, so much!!!!!!

36. Denise says:

Thank you for your beautiful, vulnerable honesty that has distilled a work that embodies the pure sanctity of love.

37. Katherine says:

Mary….your so beautiful and I love this video and your voice! I am not a lesbian but, this video makes me wish I were.

38. Violette B says:

Reblogged this on Violette's Music and Musings and commented:
    It has been far too long since I have written anything, but don’t let that fool you into thinking that the music has stopped. Far from it. There are amazing musical happenings going on in Seattle and around the world right this moment. I am going to find some time soon. I promise, In the mean time I am going to try and get a few short posts up here. Think of them as blog CPR. To start it off, let’s go with someone I would LOVE to get mouth to mouth from. Aalright, she has a wonderful girlfriend, and I don’t condone cheating or stealing, but you can’t deny you’ve thought it too. She is beautiful, talented, and one of the sweetest women you will ever meet. Truly easy to love. So without further ado, please enjoy Mary Lambert’s latest video “She Keeps Me Warm.”

39. MK says:

LOVE! Yesterday I turned 44 and watched this video with my partner. I still have the matchbook she wrote her number in for me almost 25 years ago and felt like we were transported back to that moment through your video. Thank You.

40. mollyawatson says:

I LOVE THIS VIDEO!! It’s so beautiful, and your intent rang loud and clear: a sweet love story between two women. I love how REAL it feels, regular people going about their days, crushing quietly, nervously, and gently falling into love together. Thank you so much for this song, this video, and your courage and strength to dare to put it out there. Fantastic!

41. Jillany Everett says:

Phenomenal. Made my day. My heart’s bursting with pride for you.

42. brit says:

So happy/proud of you for doing this. Your relationship is beautiful. I’m so glad you decided to do this, it’s 6:30am on the east coast right now, and I’m crying my eyes out. <3

43. Jennifer says:

First off, I would like to say that I am not a lesbian. I am female and I have been married to the love of my life for 23 years who is is a man. With that said, this video and song is beautiful and powerful and yes, it made me cry. You are such an inspiration for all couples out there. No one should have to validate their love, be it man/man, girl/girl, black/white. Love should come naturally and no one should be forced to hide it or show it only in private. I pray for the day when all couples can walk the streets and not feel embarrassed or ashamed for who they are. Thank you Mary Lambert for putting this out there for all to see. It was beautiful, as are you!!

44. pntlezmag says:

This is so amazing! Very few singers can make their music sound like art but you do so effortlessly. Keep strumming!