Dear citizens of the universe (and beyond) (like bed bath and beyond) (but actually not at all like bed bath and beyond),

I’m releasing the Body Love music video in one week.

I decided to launch The Body Love campaign in conjunction with the anticipation of the video starting today. Every day on my Instagram, I will focus on a part of my body that I embrace, and offer you to do the same- posting a picture with it, hashtags, and a description that will automatically post to the Body Love Campaign website. Your empowerment and strength can be a tool for others. I believe we can build each other up.  I think self love is one of the most important and potentially culture-shifting movements that is happening and can be propelled. I was inspired by Denise Jolly’s “Be Beautiful” project, and Sonya Renee’s  “The Body is Not an Apology” movement.

How beautiful is that phrase? The body is not an apology. It almost makes me cry. Being a lesbian, a plus size woman, and an incest and rape survivor born in poverty, I have spent much of my life in guilt. All of these identities that are a part of me have effected my body in one way or another, most for the worse– especially in my teens. I binge ate, cut myself, slept with whoever validated me, and drank to oblivion. I made a vow at 21, when I wrote the final edit of the poem, “Body Love”  that my self-destructive behavior would end with the birth of this writing. This is a live video of the poem, and probably the most vulnerable I’ve felt performing.

I also want to take a brief minute to say that I write these things from the point of view of a plus-size woman, which is my experience. I can’t tell you what it’s like to be too tall to find clothes at department stores, or too petite to fit into regular women’s clothing, or be criticized for not being a buff enough man. But I do know what it’s like to feel simultaneously invisible and also the subject of brutally mean comments. All body dysmorphia is valid; Everyone is going through something. I try to remember that as much as I can. The girl at Starbucks who doesn’t look up to even make eye contact or bother to say ‘hello’ back to me is going through something. Regardless of my indignation, I am not entitled to any kind of response. I am in charge of my own energy output into the world. I realize now we are all simultaneously victims and villains with our judgments.

Sometimes I wake up and I’m like,

“Hell yeah. what a great bod. I’m gonna dance all naked in front of the mirror for way too long.” and then sometimes I look at myself and I only see what the mean girls in middle school told me. In my head I hear:

“You’re too fat to be loved.”

Despite the guise of curvy confidence, with an EP titled ‘Welcome to the Age of My Body’ to shout it from the rooftops and borderline preachy posts on social media, I think about it daily. A couple months ago, my girlfriend kissed my stomach for the simple reason that she truly loved it, loved every part of me, and I found myself sobbing uncontrollably. For completely baring my soul on stages around the country, I was terrifyingly shaken by this sheer act of pure love. How could someone possibly love this stomach? These stretch marks? Our stomachs are made to tuck, to hide, to put spanx on, to smooth out, right?

The thought occurred to me:

I am not an isolated incident. This is not the first time a human has had any of these thoughts. In fact, this is a universal fear, regardless of size.

“I am too ______ to be loved.”

To this, I say:

You are not, nor have you ever, been alone.

Your body is worthy.

Of love, of dignity, of sexiness, of glory.

We are all stumbling to find ourselves.

We are all aching to love each other in the mess.

You are capable of exercising self-love.

You have all the knowledge and power to heal your own wounds, and no one can do that for you.

Starting today and through the week, I will focus on a body part every day, and tell you why I like it and why it’s hella real. I want you to share why YOU like YOUR hair, booty, face, etc. on social media with me. Let’s make this big.

Today on Tuesday the 15th, I begin my #BodyLove campaign with LoveMyHair. I love my reddish/brownish hair that sometimes I dye and sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I don’t have time to wash it and it gets hella dirty and gross and the hair stylist looks at me like I’m trying to get white girl dreads. I put it in a bun on my head! I wear a headband and look like a soccer mom! I side-pony it! I let it curl naturally! I put bandanas in it, who cares? I love it. #LoveMyHair. #BodyLove

LoveMyHair[3]

Love you babes.

xoxoxo

M

Share with me why you love YOUR hair today (tomorrow is a new Body Love) and please feel free to rhyme.  Upload an image of yourself to Instagram (and boos, include both hashtags and @marylambertsing so I can see it!) #BodyLove #LoveMyHair

19 Responses to Countdown to the Body Love music video and the launch of the Body Love Campaign!! Boom.

1. Pingback: May Self-Love Diet Writing Prompt: Body Gratitude | selflovewarrior

2. Melissa says:

I love you, Mary Lambert! You are truly beautiful.

3. Thank you so much for being such a brave, positive, and kind person. You’re an inspiration. Body Love feels so heartfelt and uplifting. Thank you so much for being who you are!

4. whoreforthin says:

Ps. I’m commenting on your post via my dumb dumb of a phone so feel free when moderating to not double post my comment or this comment even, hugs and thank you again for being an amazing person. :)

5. whoreforthin says:

I wish I could see past my exterior like you do Miss lambert, I wish I could really believe I was fuck- able (even when I fuck I don’t feel fuckable) , that I was worth more than my flesh, breasts and blood. I wish I could see the beauty in myself that I so easily see in others. Unfortunately my mind is like a warrior and I am the battle field. Thank you for you’re body positivity and being a role model, it’s people like you that make the air of this world a little more easier to breathe. Stay amazing just the way you are.

6. JoAnn Ryan says:

I love my hair because it’s so long. It goes past my hips, and it’s sort of a coppery bronze color, but the ends fade into gold.

7. Pingback: Plus Size Entertainment News: Singer/Songwriter Mary Lambert Launches The Body Love Campaign In Conjunction With New Video Premiere - Plus Size PLUS Model Mag

8. Mary O says:

Sounds like middle school girls are the same all over, I heard the same thing when I was in the 8th grade…so many years ago :-(

I love my hair too, it is curly and brown with new wisps of grey threading through it, it is long and soft, and looks slightly red in the sun…I love my hair!

Love you Mary, this is a great idea for all women to do daily!!!

9. Carol Elaine says:

Thank you, Mary, you are awesome.

I love my hair because it’s long and it’s thick and it’s beautiful. It rarely does what I want it to do (even when I take the time to do something with it, which isn’t often), but I love the way it feels when it swirls around my shoulders.

10. The curl of it. the way with just cut up straws and bobby pins I can get the tightest curl ever or use just a brush and oil and straighten it to a wave.

11. Thank you, Miss Mary Lambert!! Body Love is one of the best things I’ve ever heard. It’s inspirational and encouraging, but most of all, it’s just the real shit. I got my first tattoo last Thursday, and it is a line from your piece: My body is home. A constant reminder to love my body, to not half as loving myself.

You are lovely, and oh so beautiful. Thanks for being nothing more than you!

12. Reblogged this on Lesfic and Lipstick and commented:
    This artist makes my heart swell with pride and happiness. She has taken trauma and give us all a voice. We are more than the sum of our parts.

13. Fernanda says:

Mary, I haven’t gone through all that difficult moments as you had, but I’m actually in kind of the same situation of loving myself and accepting me. Your words really help to go through this and cheering up the spirit, since they are so inpiring. Thanks for sharing your moments and thoughts with people you don’t know, but who like your music, style, honesty and just who you are as a person. Thanks,
    #Chile

14. Reblogged this on Romance Products from BlissConnection.com and commented:
    Here lover kissed her tummy… because it’s beautiful.

15. Thanks so much for being another Body Love Warrior in this sometimes mean world. I am going to share this on my Curvy Girl Lingerie page and see what I can do to share this on FB and Instagram, too. Thanks for being one of our voices out there in the media and the world.

16. k.e.humphrey says:

Hi there,

I’m getting duplicate emails, so would like to unsubscribe from one (but just one!).

Thanks!

k.

17. Reblogged this on FilmmakerDonna and commented:
    This -> #BodyLove Campaign starts 2day (for 1 wk) on IG w @marylambertsing. Join the conversation: #bodypositivity

18. I am in like Flynn! You are glorious and I think you seek to see the glory in others, as do I. Thank you so much for what you do! <3

19. greenerblood says:

Hi June, I love this young woman and I love her voice. She’s a great singer songwriter and she wrote some powerful words here in this email. Hope ye start to love her, too! She’s doing wonders for me right now just by writing this email xoxo

Tiocfaidh Ar La